American Statistical Association
Georgetown University Law Center
- President for 2002 and member, Board of Directors, 2001-2003
- Representative to the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences, 2001-02
- Chance magazine. Contributing editor for the magazine’s first decade
- Organizer and moderator of a mock trial for the 1985 Joint Statistical Meetings
- Committee on Privacy and Confidentiality, 1987-1992
- Committee on Statistics and the Environment, 1979-1981
- Steering committees for fourth through ninth Symposia on Statistics and the Environment and Chairman of sixth symposium, 1979-1980
- Steering committee for symposium on ethical issues in statistical expert testimony
Program for Science and Law. Member, advisory and review committee for a project on independent scientific information and experts for the state courts, 1991.
National Academy of Sciences
Member of a delegation of social scientists to the Soviet Academy of Sciences, 1990.
Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation
Member, visiting committee of experts to study the epidemiology of mental retardation at the National Board of Health and Welfare and the Royal Academy of Sweden, 1981-1982. Author of report, “A comparison of reported rates of mental retardation in Sweden with those in the United States.”